First Myanmar Investment Co., Ltd. (FMI) was one of the earliest public companies formed following the adoption of the market economy and the promulgation of the Myanmar Investment Law in 1990. Established in 1992, it became an instant success with local investors hungry for professional investment management and sound diversity. On March 25, 2016 FMI became the first company to be listed on the Yangon Stock Exchange with the trading code 00001.
FMI’s strength lies not only in its strategic diversification, but also in its professional management, stringent corporate governance and transparency. FMI’s Board strictly adheres to corporate rules and acts independently to ensure proper conduct.
FMI’s current focus is on its ‘three pillar’ strategy of investing in the Financial Services, Real Estate and Healthcare sectors, while remaining open to strategic opportunities in other growth industries.
With an unbroken track record of profitability and dividend payments since inception, FMI is one of Myanmar’s most successful companies.
FMI employs approximately 3,355 persons on a consolidated basis, 19 of whom are located at FMI’s corporate headquarters. Approximately 56% or 1,878 of our employees are female with the remaining 44% or 1,477 being male.
Affiliation with SPA and Yoma
FMI works closely with our sister companies Serge Pun & Associates (SPA) and Yoma Strategic Holdings Ltd. All three companies are chaired by U Theim Wai @ Serge Pun, and are often involved in the same projects. While FMI is a Myanmar public company with thousands of shareholders, SPA is privately held. Yoma Strategic Holdings is a public company listed on the Singapore Exchange (SGX).
The Board of Directors, together with the management team reviews the mission and vision statement annually to ensure its continuing suitability, adequacy, effectiveness and alignment with the strategic direction of the organization.
We will provide customer satisfaction through the delivery of our SPA Star Quality Service that is consistent, fair and sincere. We shall never forget that the “Customer” is the reason we exist and that only with service that comes from the heart can we expect more customers tomorrow.
The motivation of our work will be focused on maximising the returns for our shareholders. We value the trust that our shareholders have placed with us and we shall return their confidence with profits, earned with integrity, customer satisfaction and intelligent business skills.
We care for our environment and for the community we work in. Due consideration will always be given to safeguarding our environment, saving our natural resources and providing benefits and assistance to the community in which we work in.
People will always be a vital resource in our organisation. Our employees will always be treated fairly and with respect. We consider Training and Human Resource Development as part of our Company’s goals and we shall try to develop staff to their highest potential to help them develop themselves to be more effective, productive and professional within the Company.
7 Core Values of the Group
Delivering excellence through people working in teams, guided by our Seven Focus, to build long term shareholder and customer relationships that generate sustainable profits, creating and delivering solutions with integrity and professionalism.
The 7 Focus
- Customer Focus
- Quality Focus
- Learning Focus
- Teamwork Focus
- Loyalty Focus
- Innovative Focus
- Accountability Focus